The point spread represents the most popular online football betting market. Also, referred to as the “handicap”, this additional point margin applied to teams allows for closer to even money wagering on both sides of a matchup. Sportsbooks create point spreads for one simple reason – to attract equal betting interest on both teams playing. Without spreads, heavy favorite money lines like -550 would draw almost all wagers. By adding 7, 6, or 3 points onto underdogs, sportsbooks entice action on those teams to balance their risk against even upset chances.
When looking at football point spreads, you’ll see certain key terms.
- Favorites listed with a minus (-7) handicap show added points they must cover.
- Underdogs get plus points (+7) to simulate closer contests.
- The spread includes these additions alongside the actual final score when determining which bets cash. So, favorites must win by over the minus number, while underdogs can lose by less than the plus spread yet still cover bets.
Setting the lines
Extensive modeling based on team strengths, schedules, and historical margins allows oddsmakers to estimate the real point difference expected between two teams. That projected delta is then adjusted into a whole number spread balancing appealing payouts for bettors on both sides. Spreads are then adjusted based on market moves to re-balance exposure. Although the final spread will not be equal across all outcomes, it will still aim to split action evenly across them.
Key betting strategy notes
When evaluating point spread bets, keep these key factors in mind.
- Compare your projected scoring margin to the posted spread. Enough difference signals potential “edge” to exploit.
- Monitor line movements on underdogs and favorites to spot value.
- Injuries often dictate spreads more than team perceptions. Know the rosters.
- Low total point over/under signal games is expected to be close, benefiting underdogs against spreads.
While UFABET moneyline wagers remain simpler, football betting point spreads represent sportsbooks’ efforts toward balancing action and liability. Mastering spread dynamics aids in predicting pricing direction and identifying teams to back or fade against the constantly moving numbers. The optimal margin between your projections and the posts spreads wins long term. It is advisable to keep an eye on the line changes as well since late-week information can affect the market the day before kickoff.
In the quest to attract wagering interest equally on both sides, football point spreads represent sportsbooks’ handicapping efforts towards the ultimate 50/50 result. Savvy bettors ultimately take advantage by comparing realistic expected scoring differentials to the posted numbers constantly moving until game time. Finding and exploiting discrepancies against the spread offers a key betting edge based on analytics and money tracking rather than emotions. The handicapping format levels fields for both bettors and books.